Sunday, April 26

valentine's day

We celebrated our first Valentine’s Day as a team this weekend. Thanks to a full scholarship, Sarah and I were able to attend the Family Life Marriage conference at the plush Gaylord Texan Resort. Sessions on all things matrimonial got us talking about our relationship...and reminded me of what a lucky guy I am!
 
As if I hadn’t noticed that Sarah is way out of my league already, a local Christian radio station manager who knows Sarah through her work was quick to ask how “a guy like you could land a woman like her.” Thanks. I needed that. And I was even using my out-in-public manners! The nerve!
 
The Gaylord was a relaxing backdrop to the weekend. The centerpiece of the hotel is a 10 story tall atrium roofed entirely with glass. Winding paths are lined with live growing plants, and an indoor river almost tricks you into thinking you’re outside - if you close your eyes. Just don’t walk with your eyes closed, or you’ll smack into some type of tall tropical tree. Trust me.
 
If we sound overly impressed with the venue, it’s not our fault. We’re only comparing it to some of our past great V-Day locales including:
 
  • On the phone (Three years. #1 I was in AZ, Sarah was in KY. #2 I was in AZ, Sarah was in TN. #3 I was in OK, Sarah was in KY).
  • A steakhouse in Ardmore, Oklahoma staffed entirely by women who were mad they didn’t have a date (We ended up opening our gifts to each other in the back of Sarah’s Toyota.The downside was that I got pulled over on my way and left Sarah waiting at the restaurant for a while by herself. We were in the same state for this V-Day however, so despite the run-in with the law and the parking lot party, it was an improvement.).
  • A Chili’s in Durant, Oklahoma.
 
So, not driving through snow storms to see each other in rundown Oklahoma border towns automatically made this the best Valentine’s ever. Plus, we laughed, write each other love letters, I bought Sarah a puppy, and we spent 3 whole days together. Not bad.
 
Sometimes we still can’t believe we’re married...and we get to see each other everyday! That radio guy was on to something....How did a guy like me end up having it so good?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...